Anush A. John
The Third Degree - the Holiness of God
A Sermon on the Holiness of God
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”
6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
Isaiah 7.14 The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
Isaiah 9.6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given … And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 53.7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
1. In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple.
2 Chron 26:16
2. Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
3. And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts, the whole earth is full of His glory.”
Ps 110:1 The Lord says to my Lord
John 12:41 “He has blinded their eyes, and deadened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn—and I would heal them. Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him.
Acts 28:25 The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your forefathers when he said through Isaiah the prophet: “‘Go to this people and say, “You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.”
Isaiah 40:25 “To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.
4. And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke.
5. Then I said, “Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.”
Revelation 8:13 Then I looked, and I heard an eagle flying in midheaven, saying with a loud voice, “Woe, woe, woe to those who dwell on the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!”
Moses: Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God… Exodus 3:6
Gideon: When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the Lord, he exclaimed, “Ah, Sovereign Lord! I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face!” Judges 6:22
Habbakuk - I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled. Habakkuk 3:16
Ezekiel: This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown Ezekiel 1:27
Job: My ears had heard of you, but now my eyes have seen you, Therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:5-6
Daniel: I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; the men with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless…. I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people … Daniel 10:7-8, 9:20
John: When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. Revelation 1:17
Peter: When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” Luke 5:8
6. Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal in his hand, which he had taken from the altar with tongs.
7. He touched my mouth with it and said, “Behold, this has touched your lips; and your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven.
Photo by Guillermo Ferla on Unsplash